ARROW/RedCross Agenda for November 25th, 2008
Meeting began at 19:10
Meeting ended at 19:55
WB8TKL, N8SBE, KD8GWX, W8FSA, K8GEO, N8CBW, KD7RPJ
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:34:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Jay Nugent
To: ARROW-Red Cross
Subject: [ARROW-RedCross] Meeting Agenda for November 25th, 2008
The following is the rough agenda for tonight's meeting. If you have
additional items to add, just email me, or bring them up at the meeting,
"+" denotes changes since the previous agenda
1) The SOU has been completed and is ready to be signed.
- The last edit was completed and the SOU is posted on the
- Corey has a copy of the Master document ready for printing.
- A "photo-op" needs to be scheduled for the signing. Then both the
Red Cross and the ARROW can put out a "press release" to raise a
little community awareness of both organizations.
- Let's set a date and get this puppy signed!!!
+ Invited Steve Andre' WB8WSF to attend tonights meeting
2) ID & Proximity Cards
- Ken Coe KD8IPN is still waiting for his ID.
+ Pending getting his photo taken (he's been moving house)
3) Comm-Center updates:
+ George K8GEO donated several tools for the tool box
+ Set up new Kenwood TM-271 2m VHF rig
o Will be adding Power Poles to the 12v cord tonight
+ Moved good speakes over to XP box
+ Added a cheapie set of speakers to the Linux box
+ Fixed GRUB error on Linux box
+ Placed 300 VA UPS on Linux box (has a weak battery)
+ Placed copy of "Snow Emergency Plan" in resources binder
+ Inventoried new/used Motorola 60W and 110W mobile units
4) Work party needed to install HT chargers in DAT/ERV vehicles
+ ...and swap out 60W units for 110W units
- Need to coordinate HT installs in DAT/ERV vehicles
(Clark & Jay)
- Corey asked us to hold off 1 month as National may be
replacing some vehicles
+ Ready to set a work date and get this done ASAP
o DAT, FAST, H3, Green Van...
5) Begin planning GO-KITs
+ Use 60w 47.42 MHz mobile radios
6) Work party to remote 47.42 MHz to Corey's office
- Route and pull control cable through the building
o Motorola stipulates 100 foot max cable run
+ No change in status...
7) 2-meter/440 synth rig w/PL needed
o Current rig is a loaner from N8AMX and is "strange" to operate
o Likely will want/need *TWO* rigs in a real event
- Possible sources of loaners/donations???
(Corey == 7100 // N8SBE == 10w 2/440 rig)
+ Still need something on 440 MHz
8) Plan further tower work and antenna installations:
o 75-meter dipole
+ Temporarily re-hung one end of the 75-meter dipole to a light
pole on the other side of the parking lot.
o 10:1 match using the tuner (yuk!)
o 5:1 match going direct (allows 10 watts output)
o Signed into Sunday 5pm Michigan ARPSC net on 3.932 KHz LSB
- 14 stations on net / heard by most as "weak readable"
o HF beam & rotor
- Beam is at KT8K's and will need to be refurbished
- Tim KT8K reports two elements are bent and there are an
ODD number of traps. The antenna need MUCH attention.
- Research what further hardware (mounting plates, thrust
bearings) are needed to mount the rotor atop the Trylon
T500 64' tower
+ no change in status
o Additional coax runs (fill pipe in one pass)
- Steve WB8WSF to purchase 1000' roll of 9914 in July
for $500. ARROW will cover initial costs with ARC reimbursing
at a later date.
- Steve was able to get the first 500 feet and has
delivered it to Jay (stored in his garage)
- Remaining 500 feet will be shipped at a reduced cost
+ Steve WB8WSF reports the 2nd roll is supposed to ship
o What other antennas should we install?
- 2-meter omni for Packet
- 2m/70cm stick identical to existing stick
- Scanner antenna (50MHz thru 900Mhz)
- HF tri-bander beam (already planned)
- 2-meter beam (atop HF tri-bander) for Simplex operations
- This leaves one "spare" coax run for temporary HF/VHF/UHF ants.
------- This all needs to be coordinated ---------
Note: HWF, GEO, FSA participated in earlier install
- A deployment plan needs to be written
- Materials need to be priced & purchased
- Work needs to be scheduled
- Execute! (before the snow flies!!! TOO LATE!)
+ No change in status.
9) Comm-Center "projects":
o Basically get the Comm-Center better equipped for HF use and get
the ARROW club using it regularly (contests, etc.) to satisfy that
it is always in good operational ready status.
10) Chapter projects:
o Corey would like to replace the battery in each UPS with new
one's. May also replace the four 12-volt 18VA SLA batteries in
the large 1000 watt UPS in the Comm-Center.
+ No change in status
11) Next meeting date ?????
See the "WISH LIST" at www.nuge.com/~wb8tkl/redcross/wish-list.html
-- November 27th **THANKSGIVING**
...and other assorted stuff...
--- Jay Nugent WB8TKL
o ARROW/RedCross Liasion & Station Manager
In response to the issue about dumbing-down Amateur Radio, a fellow Ham
said: "Would you like fries with that emergency communication?"
| Jay Nugent email@example.com (734)484-5105 (734)544-4326/Fax |
| Nugent Telecommunications [www.nuge.com] (734)649-0850/Cell |
| Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net] Registrar of the .linux TLD |