ARROW/RedCross Agenda for August 26th, 2008
Meeting began at 19:10
Meeting ended at 20:20
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:29:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jay Nugent
To: ARROW-Red Cross
Subject: [ARROW-RedCross] Meeting Agenda for August 26th, 2008
The following is the rough agenda for tonight's meeting. If you have
additional items to add, just email me, or bring them up at the meeting,
"+" denotes changes since the previous agenda
1) Status of PC's and net access
+ The Grand Rapids Red Cross has determined the proper
configuration of "OutPost" (WinXP) to talk directly with JNOS.
We will try to get this configuration on our boxes ASAP.
+ We are actively (each 10 minutes) now monitoring "wc-redcross.org"
Internet access, DNS, and the Exchange server. Alerts are sent to
Corey and Jay.
2) Station Managers & ID Cards
- Get proximity/swipe card for Mark W8FSA !!!!
+ Finally got an ID card for WB8TKL
3) Staff training
+ Train SM's on all equipment in the Comm-Center !!!!
+ Train SM's on ARC operational policies & procedures !!!!
4) Red Cross hierarchy chart (who are the players?)
- Corey provided Org Charts
+ Jay will get it printed and posted in the Comm-Center
5) Work party needed to install HT chargers in DAT/ERV vehicles
-- Need to coordinate HT installs in DAT/ERV vehicles
(Clark & Jay)
- Corey asked us to hold off 1 month as National may be
replacing some vehicles
6) Work party to remote 47.42 MHz to Corey's office
o Determine pinout and wiring for remote control head
-- Test remote head locally
+ DONE (tkl)
-- Route and pull control cable through the building
(perhaps see IT guy & use existing CAT5 cables)
+ Motorola stipulates 100 foot max cable run
- Will we need this for the September exercise???
7) 10-meter Groundplane cut down to 47.42 for Corey's house
- Are ya ready, Corey?
8) 2-meter/440 synth rig w/PL needed
o Current rig is a loaner from N8AMX and is "strange" to operate
o Likely will want/need *TWO* rigs in a real event
- Possible sources of loaners/donations???
(Corey == 7100 // N8SBE == 10w 2/440 rig)
- Will need something better before the September exercise
9) "Comms Training" for RC personnel
- Jay sketching out a training sylabus
- Jay will perform "Comms Training" at Aug 6th DAT meeting
10) Shelter/Canteen Test Exercise, September 27th [S.E.T.]
- Michigan S.E.T. moved up one week to avoid "Bow Season"
and will be held [Saturday September 27th]
- NOTE: See email sent to all Station Managers
o Perform some pre-planning and brain-storming in preperation...
+ Met with Corey twice to work on the "plan"
+ Met with RACES Leadership and they wish to participate by
staffing the County EOC (and perhaps others) as well as
deploy the 4WD Team as appropriate.
+ State ARPSC has announced a "pandemic" event for the state
+ NTS will follow a more ICS-like command structure
+ What additional pre-event training do we want/need???
+ Should we run temporary coax and mount an additional 2/440
11) Plan further antenna installations
o HF beam & rotor
- Beam is at KT8K's and will need to be refurbished
+ Tim KT8K reports two elements are bent and there are an
ODD number of traps. The antenna need MUCH attention and
*may* not be deployable before Winter.
+ Research what further hardware (mounting plates, thrust
bearings) are needed to mount the rotor atop the Trylon T500
o Additional coax runs (fill pipe in one pass)
- Steve WB8WSF will purchase 1000' roll of 9914 in July
for $500. ARROW will cover initial costs with ARC reimbursing
at a later date
+ WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE COAX, STEVE???? (wb8wsf) !!!!!!!!
o What other antennas should we install?
- 2-meter omni for Packet
- 2m/70cm stick identical to existing stick
- Scanner antenna (50MHz thru 900Mhz)
- HF tri-bander beam (already planned)
- 2-meter beam (atop HF tri-bander) for Simplex operations
- This leaves one "spare" coax run for temporary HF/VHF/UHF ants.
o What is the max tower load & can the tower support them?
+ Determined that the Trylon T500 tower is designed for 35 sq ft
of flat load at 64 feet in a 70 mph wind.
------- This all needs to be coordinated ---------
Note: HWF, GEO, FSA participated in earlier install
- A deployment plan needs to be written
- Materials need to be priced & purchased
- Work needs to be scheduled
- Execute! (before the snow flies!!!)
- No change in status. Need this planned out soon !!!
12) Comm-Center "projects":
- Aquired 2 300va UPS's
- May need (2) 12v7ah SLA batteries
+ DONE Clark N8CBW provided two new batteries and they have
been installed (JNOS & WinXP boxes).
o Deep-cycle battery
- Watching battery for any bubbling or acid loss
+ Deep Cycle batteries continues to "bubble" and push acid
into the plastic battery box. Terminal voltage is being
maintained at 13.2 vdc (2.2 volts per cell X 6 cells).
We *believe* it has a shorted cell :(
o Need bulletin/white boards (Corey & Mark W8FSA)
+ Need 6-volt lantern batteries (qty 2) for flashlights
See the "WISH LIST" at www.nuge.com/~wb8tkl/redcross/wish-list.html
13) Other items?
o Vests - K8GEO priced at appx $40 (qty 12 or more) with "Emergency
Communications" screened on them (print incl $55 screen
- Looking for commitment from enough people to place order
-- August 28th ARC Staff meeting @ 10:30am
-- August 29 thru 31 Grand Prix
-- August 30th [Jim Monahan Steam Engine Show @ Domino Farms]
-- August 30th ARROW Monthly breakfast @9am
-- September 3rd Pallisades Drill #2
-- Septmeber 4th Monroe ARPSC meeting @ Monroe EOC
-- September 6th Grand Rapids Hamfest (GRAfest)
-- September 7th [Hamley FinFest]
-- September 9th Wayne ARPSC meeting @ Wayne EOC
-- September 10th [ARROW Meeting]
-- September 13th One-Day Tech class 9a-3p
-- September 13-14 VHF QSO Party @ Domino Farms
-- September 14th [Adrian Swap]
-- September 14th WB8TKL NCS's the Michigan ARPSC Net on 3932
(look out world!!!)
-- September 16th Pallisades Graded Exercise
-- September 17th ARROW Repeater Committee meeting
-- September 20th District-2 EC meeting @ Wayne County EOC @ 10am
-- September 22nd [AMPteam]
-- September 22nd Livonia ARC "Beginners Packet" by WB8TKL
-- September 23rd [ARROW/RedCross meeting]
-- September 27th [** Simulated Emergency Test ** S.E.T.]
-- October 4th ARRL National Simulated Emergency Test S.E.T.
-- October 12th [Michigan State ARRL Convention]
and DRG Presentation by WB8TKL
-- October 14th DAT team meeting @ 6pm
-- October 23rd [Washtenaw ARPSC General Membership Meeting]
--- Jay Nugent WB8TKL
o ARROW/RedCross Liasion & Station Manager